About Luma Electric
Robert L. Hinds born Ottawa Lake, Michigan, August 13, 1878. The oldest of 6 siblings. He attended public schools in Toledo.
Employed by the Colton Bicycle Company until 1898.That year entered the U.S. Army for service in Spanish American War. Assigned to Co. H. 6th Regt. Ohio Vol. Inf. and sent to Cuba. Discharged a First Sergeant in June 1899, he became associated with the Kirk Manufacturing Co. in Toledo. This business later became the Consolidated Manufacturing Co., with Mr. Hinds serving as sales manager. From 1915 to 1918 he established a machine shop and subsequently established the Luma Electric Equipment Co., manufacturers of demagnetizers and electric etch tools.
During the Depression, the shop was in the basement of the family home on Prospect Ave, with his four very young sons helping do menial tasks. The business moved to 1106 Dorr Street above King Manufacturers just before Pearl Harbor. Luma tools were used in the development of The Manhattan Project. All four Hinds sons, Robert Junior, Ron, Jim and John, worked at the shop during high school and college, as did many of their friends.
Around 1945, Luma began manufacturing resistance soldering tools. By the early 50?s larger quarters were needed. Built new facility on Coining Drive. With this move, the Company diversified and purchased a Building Supply Business to add additional income for the growing families. In 1957, Robert Hinds, Sr. turned business over to his four sons. Business incorporated.